Every year, Magnificat Wellness Center protects the health of our patients by offering flu shots, as well as other immunizations recommended by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Though many immunizations are required by law for entrance into certain schools, organized sports and professional organizations, as well as some international travel destinations, there is debate over one vaccine that is invaluable. One of the most beneficial vaccines is the flu shot, which protects against influenza, a viral infection in the nose, throat and lungs. About 10% to 20% of Americans get the flu each year. Some people can get very sick from the flu. Each year, about 200,000 people go to a hospital with the flu, and 36,000 people die because of the flu and complications.
The flu may cause fever, cough, sore throat, a runny or stuffy nose, headache, muscle aches and tiredness. Most people feel better after 1 or 2 weeks, but for some people, the flu can lead to serious diseases, such as pneumonia.
The influenza vaccine can help protect the following from getting the flu:
- Children 6 months to 19 years’ old
- Adults 50 years and older
- Women who are or will be pregnant during the flu season
- People who are living in nursing homes or long-term-care facilities
- Individuals who have long-term health problems
- Health care workers who have direct contact with patients
- Caregivers and those with contact to children less than 6 months